FAQs

lnies

FAQs

Post by lnies »

Here you find answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Q: How do I get a scintillator detector?
A: Currently we distribute the scintillator detectors already assembled including the photo-detector and the preamplifier on the basis of a permanent loan for a safety deposit of 25 EUR together with the MuonPi HAT or Lite board. In case you want to return the detector, we will refund the full deposit. The scintillator material was kindly provided for the Justus-Liebig University Giessen by the US-based company Eljen Technology.

Q: How do I get a MuonPi HAT board?
A: The current process of acquiring a detector is detailed below:
  1. Please create a light-weight user account at our Member Area and log in.
  2. Logged in, you can add a detector request in the member area, providing information on whether you want to assemble the Raspberry Pi HAT / Lite board yourself (DIY option) or a fully assembled board. Specify the rough location where the detector would be operated. Following this, you will receive a confirmation mail with further instructions.
  3. Once the request is sent, you can check your current waiting list position in the member area.
  4. When the detector unit is ready for shipping, we will contact you again for finalizing the shipping details.
The current costs are calculated based on the procured hardware on stock and are calculated individually. To cover the costs we are happy to receive any donations at our PayPal account at donation@muonpi.org.

Q: How can I check my status on the waiting list?
A: Your waiting list position, i.e. users registered for a detector before you is displayed in the member area. The total amount of requested detectors on the waiting list is displayed on our main page as "Upcoming Stations".

Q: What is the best place to set up my detector?
Fortunately for our project, muons can easily penetrate walls, ceilings, windows, and most other materials without being significantly perturbed. Therefore, you can place your detector where ever you want; it really does not matter whether that is in the basement, the attic, or under your bed. It is more important, however, to have your setup sit in a dry environment to avoid moisture creeping into the scintillator detector and to avoid any electronic complications with the Raspberry Pi and the HAT. Further, the flat face of the scintillator should face straight upwards to maximize the surface area of the detector relative to the flux of the muons, which peaks at a 90-degree angle compared to the ground. One big caveat is, to synchronize the Raspberry Pi HAT with the satellite clocks, that the detector has to have access to a good GPS signal at any time. Not unlike the satnav in your car, the GPS antenna should be located very close (or even attached) to a window, which in practice limits the choice of setup locations.

Q: Can I assemble the MuonPi Hat board myself?
A: As of now, to guarantee a smooth testing phase, we ship the MuonPi Hat boards already assembled. However, we do promote our users to assemble the hardware themselves in case sufficient tools and knowledge in soldering SMD components are available by providing the components as an assembly kit. Using the hardware documentation on easyEDA you can test your skills by following a thorough tutorial on our Wiki.

Q: How do you plan to distribute the hardware in the future?
A: Since we are a non-registered non-profit organization we do not aim to generate any profit. Therefore we aim to collaborate with a third-party contractor who will take over the role of selling and distributing the hardware. We will not be involved in the procurement or vending of the hardware in the future and, consequently, we will not set the price.

Q: How can I create a user account to use the MuonPi services?
A: To use MuonPi services such as Grafana and the user forum, please create an account at our Member Area.

Q: How can I subscribe to the newsletter?
A: On our main page muonpi.org you can find the button "Sign-Up Form" where you can sign up for the German or English newsletter. Alternatively, you can use this direct link.

Q: How can I unsubscribe from the newsletter?
A: In case you want to unsubscribe from the newsletter you can use the link that was issued during the sign-up process or the unsubscribe link in one of the newsletters. Alternatively, you can contact support@muonpi.org and we will take you off the list.